Friday 21 September 2012

Cheese and Marmite Scones and the Cake and Bake show

Tomorrow I will be going to the Cake and Bake show! And of course I am very excited, a whole day of looking and learning about baking! Anyway as I can't bake tomorrow (on my usual baking day) I had to bake today and I didn't really want it to be too taxing as I am knackered from a long week at work and I didn't get in till past 11 last night after getting majorly lost! Anyway so here is this weeks bake, my love for marmite is still quite new (barley a year old) and yet I had to do at least one bake dedicated to it.

Ingredients:
  • 225g of self-raising flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 55g of butter
  • 30g of grated cheddar
  • 125ml of milk
  • 4 teaspoons of marmite
  • Extra cheese for sprinkling on top
Method:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c. 
  2. In a large mixing bowl rub the butter and flour together with your fingers until you get fine breadcrumbs. 
  3. Now grate the cheddar and mix into the bowl. 
  4. In a jug pour the milk and then mix in the marmite. To make sure you get all the marmite off the spoon, first brush your measuring spoon with sunflower oil and this will help the marmite slide off easily. 
  5. Now beat the marmite into the milk until it is all mixed in. 
  6. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the milk and mix in using a knife. 
  7. Only pour in enough to make the dough come together without any flour showing. 
  8. Roll out until 2cm thick, then cut out with a 5cm pastry cutter and put your scones on greaseproof paper on a baking tray. 
  9. Now add some cheese to sprinkle on top and cook for 15-20 minutes. 
  10. Serve with butter
 I would have put pictures of the process but sadly I can't get the new blogger to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment