Week 48, Bake 48.
We only have two weeks left at school (I love working in a private school). And so I have started my Christmas bakes early so my colleagues can appreciate them too! This week I have baked mince pies with homemade mincemeat and it is magic! So here is the recipe for the mincemeat:
Makes approximately 22
- 500g of plain flour
- 300g of unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- a good few pinches of caster sugar
- 2 eggs (for the pastry)
- butter to grease the pan
- an egg to glaze
- In a large bowl mix the flour, butter, salt, sugar and eggs together by scrunching them with your hands.
- Add in enough milk to bring the mixture into a ball.
- Cover with cling film and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
- Now divide the ball into manageable chunks to work on whilst the rest will sit in the fridge until needed.
- Grease a muffin pan with butter.
- Roll out the pastry and using a 10cm cutter and a 7cm cutter, cut out the base and top.
- Place the base in the muffin pan and fill with the mincemeat. Fold in the edges of the base and using the beaten egg glue the top to the base.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Eat slightly warm. Yum!