Week 46, Bake 46.
I am actually really happy to be back at school, last week with my parents they had the builders in and so the house was busy and very cold! So this week I'm back to school and back in Somerset where there is heating! Thankfully I had it turned up on Saturday night as we had an unexpected snowfall. It was very exciting, until the moment I realised I had to get to church and had never driven in the snow before. After getting halfway up one hill, I realised it was too dangerous to risk going so I went home (past many cars getting help from the AA and branches in the road).
Anyway, this weeks bake is a cinnamon swirl loaf. Enjoy!
- 512g of plain flour
- 1 egg
- 7g of dried fast action yeast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 60ml of oil
- splash of lemon juice
- 300ml of warm water
- 20g of soft butter
- 50g of soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 15g of butter
- 120g of icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons of warm water
- In a large bowl place the flour, egg, yeast, sugar, salt (not touching the yeast) and oil together and using your hands combine.
- Add the lemon juice and water and bring into a sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a well floured surface and knead until elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover (I use an oiled shower cap) to leave in a warm place for 1 hour until it has doubled in size.
- Now make the cinnamon sugar, combine the sugar and cinnamon together making sure there are no lumps.
- Punch down the dough, and roll it out into a 12" x 24" rectangle.
- Spread the dough with butter then sprinkle all the cinnamon sugar on it.
- Now roll it using the longest side and make sure the seem is sealed.
- Cut along the length of the roll and turn out the 2 sides so that the layers show.
- Now start twist the two sides together so it looks like rope. Roll it into a bun, then pop it into a greased spring-form cake tin.
- Cover again and let it rise for 30 minutes whilst you pre-heat the oven to 190c.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Now make the icing, mix the soften butter, icing sugar and water together until you get a consistency you like.
- Using a piping bag, pipe lines across the bread and serve warm.