Saturday 15 December 2012

Time to play with my blow torch!

Week 50, Bake 50. 

Only two more to go after this! People have started asking me what I am going to do next year... Will I continue baking? Will I start a new challenge? Will I do something crafty instead of cooking? And my answer...? Well actually I do have a good idea but I won't reveal it until January 1st 2013. Anyway, back to baking! So as I said in my previous blog, I am back home for the holidays and so decided to bake something a little different. I couldn't do it in Somerset as I don't have half the equipment (individual dishes and my blow torch). To be honest half the reason why I did this bake was so that I could play with my blow torch again! So here it is: Creme Brulee.

Ingredients:
  • 500ml of double cream
  • 1 vanilla pod
  • 100g of caster sugar
  • 6 egg yolks
  • Plus extra caster sugar
Method:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 150c. 
  2. Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds into the cream, chop the pod up and add it to the cream. 
  3. Now put the cream into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes. 
  4. Meanwhile whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together until they become lighter in colour. 
  5. Take the cream off the heat and pour a small splash into the eggs continuously whisking so the eggs don't scramble. Now pour the rest in gently. 
  6. Whisk until it becomes thicker, if it doesn't then pop it back on the heat in a saucepan and gently warm it for another minute. 
  7. Now get your ramekins, place them in a deep roasting tray and fill them 2/3rds full with the custard mixture. Surround them with hot water to create a ban Marie (about half way up the ramekins) then bake for about 30 minutes. They will be done when there is a slight wobble in the centre of the custard. 
  8. Finally, finish them off with the a tablespoon of caster sugar. Using your blow torch (yes... Blow torch!) caramelise the sugar. Serve right away with raspberries.


No comments:

Post a Comment