Sunday 20 May 2012

Tarte Tatin

Week 21, Bake 21.
As you may have read from a previous post I have been very fortunate and have met the one and only Albert Roux and when I met him he taught me how to make Tarte Tatin. I was only three and so don't actually remember him teaching me but I remember loving Tarte Tatin. So as this week I found a copy of Michel Roux's Pastry book signed by Michel I decided to make my all time favourite dessert. This is my adaption of their classic (mainly because I didn't want to make too much as its only me eating it).

Ingredients:
  • 200g of plain flour
  • 200g of very cold butter
  • 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt
  • Ice cold water
  • 4 apples
  • 75g of butter
  • 75g of caster sugar
Method:
  1. Put the plain flour on a clean surface, make a well in the centre and tip the cold cubed butter and the salt into it.
  2. Now using one hand, scrunch the butter into the flour and keep doing this until most of the butter is Incorporated yet there are still some visible flakes.
  3. Add in the ice cold water (enough to bring the pastry together).
  4. Now roll out the pastry into a long rectangle.
  5. Fold the pastry into three and give it a quarter turn. This is the first turn, now roll it out once again and fold into three. Wrap the pastry in cling film and rest for half an hour.
  6. Now do this again (turn it twice) and let it rest for another half an hour.
  7. Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
  8. Meanwhile, peel and slice the apples and cover them with lemon juice so they don't brown.
  9. Melt the butter and sugar in a pan together over a medium heat (do not stir it). This will take about 5-10 minutes until it becomes an amber colour.
  10. Now get your tartlet tins, once the caramel mixture is ready spoon it carefully (as it will be VERY hot) into the tartlet tins then carefully place the sliced apples on top into the tins.
  11. Roll out your pastry and cut it to shape, place the pastry on top of each tin squeezing it down then prick the pastry once with a fork.
  12. Cook for 15-20 minutes. The carefully take out the tarts from the tins and eat!




No comments:

Post a Comment