Week 2. Bake 2.
My brother is home this week and out of all of the bakes on my list he wanted me to bake a red velvet cake, so being the good little sister I am, my bake this week is Red Velvet Cupcakes.
I have never had Red Velvet Cupcakes let alone made them. So here is the recipe for my Red Velvet Cupcakes.
(on a different matter, I have just learnt how to spell ingredients - so chuffed as I am dyslexic!).
- 2 tablespoons of red food colouring
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 60g of salted butter (room temperature)
- 150g of caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 120ml of buttermilk
- 140g of sifted plain flour
- 10g of sifted corn flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- American butter cream icing
- In a small bowl mix the cocoa powder together with the red food colouring. Add the vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl beat the room temperature butter together with the sugar until light and fluffy. This took me about 5-6 minutes as I don't have a Kitchenaid mixer sadly, so I beat all my cakes by hand until I can afford one.
- Now beat the egg in a cup, and slowly add it to the butter/sugar mixture one tablespoon at a time, beating constantly.
- Now add the cocoa mixture to the big bowl and beat it for a minute or so.
- Pour in half of the buttermilk and beat it into the mixture, then add half of the flour (add the plain flour and the corn flour together to do this).
- Now beat the mixture, add the rest of the buttermilk, beat it in and then add the final amount of flour.
- At this point add the final ingredients, the vinegar and the baking soda into the cupcake mixture and mix for a minute or two.
- Now put the cupcakes into cases and bake at 170c for 20 minutes.
- Once they come out of the oven, leave them for a minute in the tin and then transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack.
- The finish off the cupcakes with either cream cheese frosting or butter cream icing (like I did).
I don't think that I will make these cupcakes again, for one reason, I don't like the fact that they are basically chocolate cupcakes and yet they are red. Chocolate cupcakes should be chocolate coloured. Another reason why I don't think I will make them again is that they are not my regular cupcake recipe and as a result I don't think they are as light and fluffy. (Check back for my cupcake recipe). So as recipes go, its not the best, but it tastes good!