Week 24, Bake 24.
As we were given two bank holidays by the Queen this year I decided that I would do another bake for the royal jubilee. I had planned to bake another cake but due to a problem with a lack of blue food colouring on the supermarket shelves I had to change my plans. So here is a basic tray-bake jazzed up with some fresh fruit for a jubilee treat.
- 175g of caster sugar
- 175g of butter
- 3 eggs
- 175g of self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 6oz of butter for the icing
- 12oz of icing sugar
- 200g (approx) of raspberries
- 200g (approx) of blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Now beat 3 eggs together then slowly add the beaten eggs one spoon at a time to the mixture beating it in.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and then use a metal spoon to fold in the flour.
- Now add the vanilla essence.
- Pop in a square or rectangle tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the from the tin then cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile make your butter icing by beating the butter into the icing sugar. If you need to add a small splash of milk to help the icing to become smooth.
- Now spread the icing over the cool cake and using a pallet knife make it as smooth as possible.
- Wash your fruit then lay it out on top of the cake and you are done.