- 4lb of onions
- 3 slices of bacon (or use goose fat)
- 225g of white sugar
- 125g of dark brown sugar
- 450ml of red wine
- 225ml of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- Place a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the bacon. Get as much fat out of the bacon and remove once this has been done (you can eat this now if you really want).
- Add the sugar, brown sugar, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. To test if it’s the right consistency, dribble a bit of the reduction on a plate and it still liquid, but slowly slips down the plate after it cools briefly. WARNING: Do not walk away from this once it begins to get close as it may burn.
- Remove from heat and let cool before storing. It keeps in the fridge well for at least 2 months.