Week 43, Bake 43.
The Great British Bake Off is over! And I am really happy with the person who won. But now my Tuesday night has just gotten a little worse. So this week I decided to make something with pastry as I havn't done that in a while. I got this idea after my dad suggested it (then I adpated his idea) and I do feel guilty that I havnt made it for him, my plan was to go home in half term but its such a long way so I decided to make the pasty this week. This pasty has got a savory content at one end and then at the other end it has apple sauce as a dessert, a whole meal in one!
- 500g of plain flour
- 125g of lard
- 125g of butter
- pinch of salt
- two small potatos
- half an onion
- 300g of pork sholder
- a few sprigs of rosemary
- half a can of sliced tinned peaches
- apples to make apple sauce
- caster sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- In a large bowl rub together the salt, cold lard, cold butter and flour. You want to get it to become breadcrumbs-like. I do mine from a height so that air gets trapped in it.
- Now using 6 tablespoons of water bring the pastry together and wrap in clingfilm to put in the fridge for 30-60mins.
- Meanwhile prepare your ingredients: dice the onion, potatoes and pork.Sprinkle the pork with seasoning and rosemary.
- Chop the peaches into chunks and drain some of the syrup off them by using kitchen towel.
- Make the applesauce by softening apples over a medium heat in some butter, adding caster sugar to taste.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220c.
- It is time to assemble the pasty's now. Roll out a quarter of the dough into a circle about 23cm diameter.
- In a quarter of a circle pile up the potatoes, onion, meat and peaches. In the other quarter of the same half, pile up the cooled apple sauce. Leave enough of a ring around the filling to be able to crimp.
- Seal the pastry using the beaten egg then crimp the circular edge by folding it over.
- Egg wash the whole of the pasty and pop it onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Bake all 4 pasties in the oven for 10 minutes, then turning the temperature down to 180 after and baking for a further 40-45 minutes.
- Remove and serve warm. Yum!