Week 6. Bake 6.So as it is the start of the 6Nations rugby tournament this weekend my brother is coming home to listen to me and my dad bicker over which rugby player is the best. So with my brother in mind as I have so many bakes in mind I know he won't like, here is one he will like... hopefully!
And before we start here is some music to Make Whoopie to...
- 240g of plain flour
- 85g of cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of bicarb of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 55g of butter
- 55g of lard
- 220g of dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 250ml of milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 190c and line a baking sheet with grease-proof paper.
- In a bowl sift the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. I did this twice to add air into the mixture.
- In a separate bowl beat the butter and sugar together for about five minutes - I did this by hand as I sadly don't have a kitchenaid mixer (but on the plus I have one big bicep now...).
- Once it is lovely and light, beat in the vanilla essence and the beaten egg (one tablespoon at a time to ensure it doesn't curdle).
- Now gradually beat in the flour and milk adding them both to the mixture in equal measures until it is all combined.
- Using a tablespoon to measure drop blobs onto the baking sheet a couple of inches apart.
- Cook for 9 minutes.
- Once they are done, leave them on the tray for a minute or two to cool then transfer them onto a wire cooling rack.
- Now, make the filling. To do this, beat the soft butter, the icing sugar, the vanilla essence and the Marshmallow fluff.
- Place a big dollop of the filling onto the flat side of one of one of the sponges and then squish another sponge onto the filling and you have a Whoopie Pie!